- Defend pay and the terms and conditions of service of public health doctors.
- Defend and promote public health as a medical specialty, but with a non-medical route of entry.
- Reflect and encourage the diverse public health medical profession, aiming for gender balance on the committee and at conference.
- Provide the public health perspective on the BMA‘s strategic policy priorities.
Chair: Peter English
Sohail Bhatti (local government)
Richard Jarvis (workforce and regulation)
Vacant (policy and advocacy)
- Welsh committee for public health medicine (WCPHM)
- Northern Ireland public health medicine committee (NIPHMC)
- The public health medicine registrars subcommittee (PHMRS): The subcommittee meets three times a year to discuss issues of relevance to trainees. The chair for 2018-19 is Emma Pearce. Contact [email protected].
- The public health medicine consultative committee is a joint committee of the BMA’s public health medicine committee and the Faculty of Public Health. It is set up to contribute to the formulation of policy and to consider all matters of policy relating to public health medicine in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The Committee also has members and observers from the Association of Directors of Public Health, the BMA’s general practitioners committee, the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health, the Royal College of Nursing and Unite. Contact [email protected].
The committee meets three times a year to discuss all matters affecting public health medicine and public health physicians. Meetings are open to committee members only, but non-members can apply for the BMA committee visitors scheme.
- Tuesday 12 May (tbc)
All meetings take place at:
For more information email [email protected].
The next conference will take place on 26 February 2020.
Read more about the conference and how to register
The 2019 public health medicine conference was held at BMA House on 5 March and chaired by Southwark strategic director for place and wellbeing, Professor Kevin Fenton. The theme for the year was ’Resilience of public health systems and people’.
Each region or nation elects one representative and one deputy to the committee for a year. The 2019-2020 elections ran from 15 August to 6 September 2019.
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about the work of the PHMC, please contact [email protected].