The WCPHM (Welsh committee for public health medicine) reports to the UK PHMC (public health medicine committee) on matters concerning Wales. It keeps the central committee informed on issues and changes to practice in Wales.
Health impact assessments
The WCPHM has collaborated with Welsh Government to ensure the Health Impact Assessment element of the Public Health (Wales) Act 2017 is progressed.
Public Health (Wales) Act 2017 assessment
The WCPHM is awaiting the consultation on the draft regulations.
Healthcare public health
The WCPHM is ensuring Healthcare Public Health remains a key function within Public Health Wales.
Working to increase the number of Public Health Doctors in Wales.
Collaborating with partners to ensure a robust response to the management of COVID-19.
Chair: Michael Thomas
The designated 10 voting members for 2019-22.
Three consultants in public health medicine from each geographical region.
Mid and west Wales
Dr Ciaran Humphreys
Dr Joanne McCarthy
Dr Michael Thomas - chair 2019 to 2022
Dr Robert Atenstaedt
Professor Stephen Monaghan
Professor John Watkins
Dr Marysia Hamilton-Kirkwood - deputy chair 2019 to 2022
Dr Loseff Llion Davies
Dr Rhianwen Stiff
One representative of medical StRs in public health medicine working in Wales. Elected on an all-Wales basis by StR cohort.
Dr Marc Davies
Immediate past chair
Dr Mark Temple
Dr Nigel Monaghan
The committee normally meets three times a year with one meeting being an open meeting.
- No upcoming meeting currently scheduled.
All meetings take place from 10.30am to 1pm either virtually or at:
BMA Cymru Wales
2 Caspian Point
For more information email us or call 029 2047 4633.
This year's Public health medicine conference was held on 8 June 2021.
How to join WCPHM
There are many advantages to becoming involved in our committees. You can actively influence BMA policy-making and negotiations, represent your colleagues' voices and develop your leadership skills.
Each committee has a few routes to becoming an elected member. In the case of WCPHM, these are:
- Seats/term - every three years, elections for 10 seats on WCPHM take place for a three-session term. Seats are for:
- three consultants in public health medicine from each geographical region (North Wales, Mid & West Wales, South East Wales)
- one representative of medical StRs (specialty registrars) in public health medicine elected on an all Wales basis.
- Timeline - elections are usually held in July.
- all public health medicine consultants from North Wales, Mid & West Wales, South East Wales are eligible to stand and vote in their specific region
- all StRs in public health medicine in Wales are eligible to stand and vote in this election.
The election section below is kept up to date with details about any running elections, so make sure you keep checking it throughout the year.
The next elections will take place in 2022.
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about the work of the WCPHM, please email us.