International doctors

The BMA can help you as an IMG or international medical student, whether you're looking to make the move to come to the UK or are just starting out in your new job.

How the BMA can help you

BMA services for international doctors

The BMA can help you get started in the UK, from immigration queries to your learning and development. Find out more about joining us.

Studying and training in the UK

Studying in the UK and your visa

How to apply for a tier 4 visa to study medicine in the UK, how much it costs and eligibility criteria.

Training in the UK and your visa

What visa you need to complete the foundation programme and apply for specialty training in the UK as an international doctor.
Contract and pen article illustration
Thinking of signing a locally employed doctor contract?

If you are a trust grade doctor, FY3, clinical fellow or locally employed doctor, our checklist will help you to:

  • fully consider your employment offer and working arrangements
  • identify if you are receiving the appropriate terms and conditions
Download the checklist

Coming to work in the UK

Working in the UK and your visa

A guide for international medical graduates looking to become a doctor in the UK - the steps you need to take to get a skilled worker visa.

Clinical attachments

Read our guidance to find out what a clinical attachment is, where to find one and how to apply.

Applying to work as a European doctor in the UK

A high level overview of the steps you will need to take to work as a doctor in the UK from the EEA.

Help for refugee doctors

The steps you can take to get a job as a doctor in the UK, more about our refugee doctor initiative and help with GMC registration.

Life and work in the UK

Toolkit for doctors new to the UK

A resource to help support doctors and international medical graduates just starting out in the NHS in the UK.

Being an international junior doctor in the NHS

Tips for international doctors new to the UK who are just starting out in the NHS.

Staying in the UK and your visa

Guidance on your visa and staying in the UK once your skilled worker visa is coming to an end, applying for settlement and how long you can leave the UK for.