The Wales SAS doctors committee represents staff, associate specialist and specialty doctors working in NHS Wales.
- Work with Welsh Government and NHS Employers Wales to ensure appropriate implementation of the new contract packages for SAS doctors following the recent referendum.
- Continue to ensure further implementation of the SAS Charter in Wales.
- Ensure there is greater transparency of recording SAS doctors' work.
- Ensure management roles in health boards are offered to all.
- Ensure SAS terms and conditions of service are up to date.
- Promote quality job planning.
- Encourage SAS doctors to be trained as appraisers.
SAS charter promotion
The committee has created a poster to promote the SAS charter for Wales for members to share via any channels, such as hospitals, libraries and postgrad centres.
Chair: Ali Nazir
Deputy chair: Julie Jones
Cwm Taf Morgannwg
Elizabeth Lloyd Williams
Christine Dharshini Devarajan
Duvvoor Prathap Reddy
Naleen Kumar Thota
Cardiff and Vale
We meet four times a year to discuss the latest issues affecting SAS doctors in Wales. These meetings are open to committee members only.
- Tuesday 28 September 2021, 10am
- Wednesday 24 November 2021, 10am
- Wednesday 23 March 2022, 10am
- Tuesday 21 June 2022, 10am
All meetings take place virtually until further notice.
How to join Wales SASC
There are many advantages to becoming involved in our committees. You can actively influence BMA policy-making and negotiations, represent your colleagues' voices and develop your leadership skills.
Each committee has a few routes to becoming an elected member. In the case of Wales SASC, this is:
- Seats/term – every three years, health boards and Trusts in Wales elect 28 representatives for a three-session term. Seats are distributed evenly between boards based on the number of SAS doctors employed in the board area.
- Timeline - elections are usually held in July or August.
- Eligibility - all SAS doctors who are BMA members, and working in a Welsh health and social care trust are eligible to stand and vote in this election.
The election section below is kept up to date with details about any running elections, so make sure you keep checking it throughout the year.
Elections to Wales SAS committee are now closed.
Get in touch
If you want to find out more about the work of the WSASC, email us or call 029 2047 4696.