Our immigration advice service
If you have an immigration query, we can refer you to our dedicated immigration advice service, where you can get free, basic advice on your initial enquiry.
If your enquiry is complex and goes beyond basic advice, as a member of the BMA, you will be eligible for a reduced fee for further legal support.
Initial free advice covers:
- Advice on applications for leave to enter or remain in the UK that are within the immigration rules.
- Diagnosis of your need for specific immigration advice.
- One-off advice.
Progress your career
We have lots of guidance to help you get started as a doctor in the UK.
- Tips for writing a good medical CV
- Not sure what specialty is for you? Try our specialty explorer
- Need some guidance from a fellow IMG? Read more about mentoring
- BMJ Careers
Learn with us
Your BMA membership gives you access to learning resources from the BMA and BMJ.
Any doctor starting in a new healthcare system, in a new country, might have some brushing up to do. Try our masterclasses, courses and webinars.
Our web-based seminars use live streaming so that you can log on from anywhere in the world and take part in real-time teaching.
The webinars cover a wide range of subjects including building up your confidence in the workplace and learning how to deal with difficult personalities.
BMJ Learning includes a wide range of modules and events focusing on non-clinical skills to assist you in your continuing professional development (CPD).
We're here to stand up for your rights, support you in the workplace and champion the medical profession.
Whilst the fundamentals of medicine will be the same across the world, practising medicine has its differences country to country. You may find the below useful to look at when you start practising in the UK.
- Our toolkit for doctors new to the UK, including tips on communicating with patients, NHS structure, doctors' titles and who's who and tips for setting up your new life.
- Confidentiality and health records toolkit
- Communicating with patients guidance
- Patient autonomy guidance
- Getting patient consent toolkit
- Doctor-patient relationship guidance