BMA guidance

Applying to work as a doctor in the UK

A guide for international medical graduates looking to work in the UK.

Location: International
Audience: International doctors
Updated: Monday 6 June 2022
Topics: International doctors
Globe with map pins illustration

The process of getting a job in the UK, which includes getting a visa and becoming registered with the GMC, can take longer than you might expect.

Timescales will depend on your level of English and how much time you take to prepare. 

Moving to a new country can be daunting - the BMA can help you. This guide describes the steps you need to take to get a job in the UK.


What you'll get from this guide 

  • What you need to do before you can start the skilled worker (previously tier 2) visa application process.
  • How to take your PLAB tests and register with the GMC.
  • How to get an employer to sponsor you to move to the UK.


How to use this guide

This guide is intended as a high level overview of the immigration pathway into medicine in the UK.

It is for international medical graduates. If you're from the EEA (European economic area), try our guide for EEA medical graduates.

Still not sure? Contact our dedicated immigration advice service to help you with your specific queries.

laptop illustration
Sign up to our newsletter

For news, opinion and updates for international doctors, sign up to receive our newsletter straight to your inbox.

Sign up to our newsletter