Applying to work as a European doctor in the UK

A high level overview of the steps you will need to take to work as a doctor in the UK from the EEA following Brexit.

Location: International
Audience: International doctors
Updated: Monday 6 June 2022
Globe with map pins illustration

The UK left the EU on the 31 January 2020 and entered a period of transition which ended on the 31 December 2020. The UK government introduced a new immigration system in January 2021.

To exercise your right to live in the UK, you must be able to support yourself and your family without having to rely on public funds.

If you arrived in the UK from 31 January 2021, you now need to obtain a visa or work permit to work in the UK.


Step 1: apply for GMC registration

To practise medicine in the UK you need to hold registration with a licence to practise from the GMC.

You will be eligible to apply for this route if you:

  • graduated from a medical school outside of the UK or Switzerland and
  • have passed both parts of the PLAB test within the past two years
  • have completed an internship.

If you hold a medical qualification awarded in the EEA or Switzerland, it may be classed as a 'relevant European qualification'. You can check if your qualification is included.

You can also check what qualifications are accepted from outside of the UK and EU.

Depending on your qualification, you may also need to be added to the GP or specialist register.

If you have a primary medical qualification obtained outside of the EEA and UK, you will need to have it independently verified before you are granted registration with a licence to practise.

You should check whether this applies to you.

Submitting evidence of internship

To demonstrate you have completed an acceptable internship, you must submit evidence of having done at least 12 months' continuous medical practice in an approved training post in a public hospital, either immediately before or after you graduated.


Step 2: apply for a job

You can now apply for vacancies within the UK.

BMJ Careers - choose from 1,273 live vacancies. Get expert support and guidance on finding a job in the UK through BMJ Careers.

You can search for jobs that match your skills by registering at NHS jobs.

Working as a GP

If you want to practice as a GP you will need to:

  • join the GMC GP register
  • apply to join the national performers list which is a list of approved GPs, who satisfy a range of criteria necessary for working in the NHS
  • register on the NHS GP induction and refresher scheme which offers dedicated practical support and a range of assessments including placements and simulated surgeries.


Step 3: apply for pre-settled status

If you arrived in the UK before the date that the UK left the EU (31 January 2020), you would be eligible to apply for pre-settled status.

This applies if you have not completed five years of continuous residence in the UK. Those who have lived in the UK continuously for five years will be eligible for settled status. 

You will need to submit another application when you become eligible to apply for settled status.


world illustration
BMA immigration advice service


If you have an immigration query, we can refer you to our dedicated immigration advice service, where you can get free, basic advice on your initial enquiry. 

Call - 0300 123 1233​

Call us