The PRC (professional regulation committee) represents the views of the profession and engages with key stakeholders such as the GMC, the Medical Practitioner Tribunal Service, the Department of Health and Social Care, and the Professional Standards Authority.
The main priorities of the committee include:
- reflecting the profession’s views on professional regulation, including on matters relating to GMC registration, GMC standards such as good medical practice, revalidation, GMC referrals and fitness to practise processes, and the GMC’s role in overseeing UK medical education and training
- working with key stakeholders to drive improvements in professional regulation to make it fairer, less burdensome and more efficient.
Chair: Dr Mark Corcoran
Deputy co-chairs: Dr Jeeves Wijesuriya and Becky Bates
The committee meets three times a year with meeting dates determined at least 6 weeks in advance. Meetings usually take place in February, July and November.
For details on upcoming meeting dates, please contact us.
All meetings take place virtually or at:
How to join the PRC
There are many advantages to becoming involved in our committees. You can actively influence BMA policy-making and negotiations, represent your colleagues' voices and develop your leadership skills.
Each committee has a few routes to becoming an elected member. In the case of the PRC, these are:
- Seats/term - every year, elections for 3 seats on PRC take place for a one-session term.
- Timeline - the nomination period opens a month before ARM and voting closes a few days after ARM.
- Eligibility - all BMA members can stand for election but only ARM delegates can vote.
Of the nominees, BMA council elects a further two seats for a one-session term.
One representative from each of the following:
- consultants committee (CC)
- general practitioners committee (GPC)
- junior doctors committee (JDC)
- medical academic staff committee (MASC)
- medical students committee (MSC)
- private practice committee (PPC)
- public health medicine committee (PHMC)
- retired members committee (RMC)
- staff associate specialist and specialty doctors committee (SASC)
The election section below is kept up to date with details about any running elections, so make sure you keep checking it throughout the year.
If you wish to join the PRC via any of the relevant committees, please see any running elections on their respective pages.
Elections to the professional regulation committee are now closed.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or are interested in finding out more about the work of the PRC, please email us.