The PFC (professional fees committee) represents the BMA on all matters relating to non-NHS, non-contractual medical service work, such as local and central government work, medico-legal work, insurance work and a wide range of reports, examinations and certificates for patients or third parties.
This includes consulting with Government and other organisations on work implications for the doctor involved and, where possible, negotiating fees for this.
- The committee is currently working on a range of issues that apply to doctors across the profession, including work requested by the Department for Work and Pensions, safeguarding report work, and the ongoing death certification reforms.
- The PFC has worked closely with the Home Office and the GPC (general practitioners committee) in drafting updated guidance for GPs on firearms licensing, which has now been issued to LMCs (local medical committees).
Chair: Peter Holden.
The committee is comprised of the following doctors:
- Three elected by the representative committee: One who undertakes, on average, at least four sessions work each week for central government departments, agencies or their contractors, elected by members who undertake fee paid sessional work for central government departments, agencies or their contractors - Vacant.
- One by the CC (consultants committee) - Anil Jain.
- One by the GPC (general practitioners committee) - Bob Morley.
- One by the JDC (junior doctors committee) - Vacant.
- One by the OMC (occupational medicine committee) - Susan Robson.
- One by the PPC (private practice committee) - Tom Kane.
- One by the SASC (staff, associate specialist and specialty doctors committee) - Tapas Goswami.
- One appointed by BMA Scottish council - Iain Kennedy.
- One appointed by BMA Northern Ireland council - Aaron Milligan.
The committee meets three times a year to discuss the latest issues affecting the profession. These meetings are only open to committee members.
- Wednesday 24 February 2021
Wednesday 2 June 2021.
All meetings take place either virtually or at:
Elections to the Professional fees committee are now closed.
The next elections will take place in 2021.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the work of the PFC, email [email protected].