The pensions committee takes responsibility for all questions relating to superannuation and compensation, working closely with branch of practice committees and devolved nations on these issues.
The committee aims to increase awareness and educate BMA members on pensions issues and lobbies governments across the UK to maximise members pensions rights.
A key area of focus for the pensions committee is annual allowance. Punitive taxation measures are negatively affecting members across the four nations. The BMA has lobbied the Department of Health and HM Treasury to resolve the issue.
The committee also works on a number of other issues affecting doctors including annualisation, ill-health retirement and numerous legal cases.
The committee chair is Dr Vishal Sharma.
The committee deputy chair is Dr Krishan Aggarwal.
- appointed by the Consultants Committee - Vishal Sharma
- appointed by the Public Health Medicine Committee - Phil Kirby
- appointed by the Junior Doctors Committee - James Warwick
- appointed by the Staff, Associate Specialists and Specialty Doctors Committee - Devendar Banker
- appointed by the Medical Students Committee - position vacant
- appointed by the Medical Academic Staff Committee - Mark Gabbay
- appointed by the Armed Forces Committee - David O'Reilly
- appointed by the General Practitioners Committee - Krishan Aggarwal, Rob Barnett and Krishna Kasaraneni
- appointed by Northern Ireland Council - Sara Hedderwick
- appointed by Scottish Council - Alan Robertson
- appointed by Welsh Council - David Bailey
- appointed by the British Dental Association - Paul Blaylock
- The Chief Officers of the BMA (non-voting)
The committee is empowered to co-opt up to three non-voting members to ensure sufficient expertise is represented on the committee.
The committee may also invite observers to attend meetings of the committee.
Due to the significance of pensions matters to BMA members currently, the pensions committee presently meets four times a year.
Only members of the committee (or invited observers) may attend meetings of the pensions committee.
Meetings for 2020:
- Wednesday 29 April 2020
- June 2020 (date TBC).
All meetings take place at:
For any queries for the pensions committee, regarding pensions policy or related matters, please contact [email protected]. For any individual pensions queries please contact the pensions department.