The WMSC covers all matters of importance to medical students in Wales and acts on their behalf. We do this by informing, liaising and, where appropriate, collaborating with the Welsh Government, Cardiff and Swansea medical schools, local health boards and Health Education and Improvement Wales.
The committee also works closely with the BMA Welsh council and the UK MSC.
Raise awareness of student mental health issues and assess the scope of the support offered by medical schools in Wales.
In 2020, we conducted a mental health survey of medical students in Wales to learn about mental health at university.
Promote access to medicine regardless of background and monitor differential attainment.
We lobbied for improvements in the standard of accommodation for students on placements and continue to monitor these standards.
Improve communication with students in order to increase awareness of the BMA and encourage engagement with WMSC.
Monitor the implementation of the MLA (Medical Licensing Assessment) and medical schools’ own assessment procedures.
Chair: Serge John
Deputy Chair: Erin Flaherty
Cardiff 1st Year
Mohammad Zabit Rishad/
Cardiff 2nd year
Cardiff 3rd Year
Kevin Boon Chun Lee/Vacant
Cardiff 4th year
Ethan Baker/Leighton Newton
Cardiff 5th year
Erin Flaherty/Olivia Hird
North Wales C21
Immediate past chair: Craig Heath
Swansea 1st year
Sarah Osborn/Ashly Alava Garcia
Swansea 2nd year
Swansea 3rd year
Megan Johnston/ JJ Green
Swansea 4th year
Lawrence Quach/ Belinda Wang
MSC representatives 22/23
Deputy: Sam Dyer
Bangor Deputy: TBC
Deputy: James Brawn
Take part in one of our free courses designed to give you the right skills to:
- break down equality and inclusion bias (CPD-accredited)
- value difference and inclusivity
- live our BMA behaviour principles.
We meet four times a year to discuss the latest issues affecting medical students in Wales. These meetings are open to WMSC members only.
- Wednesday 11 October 2023
- Wednesday 13 December 2023
- Wednesday 21 February 2024
- Wednesday 8 May 2024
All meetings take place from 6.30pm to 9pm either virtually or at:
BMA Cymru Wales
2 Caspian Point
How to join
There are many advantages to becoming involved in our committees. You can actively influence BMA policy-making and negotiations, represent your colleagues' voices and develop your leadership skills.
Each committee has a few routes to becoming an elected member. In the case of WMSC, these are:
- Seats/term - every year, both medical schools in Wales elect a representative to UKMSC for a one-session term. These representatives have non-voting seats on the WMSC.
- Timeline - elections usually take place in March or April.
- Eligibility - all student BMA members are eligible to stand and vote in this election.
- Seats/term - every year, both medical schools in Wales elect two representatives, and an intercalating representative, from each year for a one-session term.
- Timeline - elections usually take place in May or June.
- Eligibility - all student BMA members in Wales are eligible to stand and vote in this election.
There is also a co-opted representative position for the Cardiff Medical school C21 course run at Bangor University.
The election section below is kept up to date with details about any running elections, so make sure you keep checking it throughout the year.
The Welsh Medical Student Committee (WMSC) is made up of two medical students elected from every year at both Cardiff and Swansea medical schools as well as an intercalating representative.
There is also a voting representative position for the Cardiff Medical school run C21 course at Bangor University
Direct elections 2023 to 2024
The WMSC is holding elections for the following seats:
- 2x Cardiff 1st year representatives
- 2 x Swansea 1st year representatives
- 2 x Cardiff 2nd year representatives
- 1 x Cardiff 3rd Year representative
- 1 x Swansea 4th year representative
- 2 x Cardiff 4th year representatives
- 1 x Cardiff 5th year representative
- 1x North Wales representative
To stand or vote in this election, you must:
- be a BMA full-time student member in Wales
- have a BMA online account.
Nominations and casting your vote
- Nominations open from: 9am on Tuesday 12 September 2023 and close at 12 noon Tuesday 10 October.
- Ballot - from 9am on Wednesday 11 October to 12 noon Wednesday 25 October.
Read our guide on how to use our online system for elections.
Results will be announced from Thursday 26 October 2023 on the election portal.
If you have any questions about these elections, please email us.
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about the work of the WMSC, please contact us or call 029 2047 4696.