An academic trainee is a junior doctor with an academic or research component to their training. The JATS (joint academic trainees subcommittee) has the responsibility of considering and addressing issues of concern to academic trainees and of ensuring that academic training is taken into consideration by the MASC (medical academic staff committee) and the JDC (junior doctors committee).
Our role involves:
- advising the MASC and JDC on matters affecting academic trainees, including on possible courses of action, and facilitating the sharing of information between MASC and JDC
- leading on developing BMA policy specifically for academic trainees, apart from contractual negotiations on which the subcommittee will advise both MASC and JDC
- leading on developing guidance for academic trainees for approval by MASC and JDC
- leading on developing and enhancing communications with academic trainees.
- To ensure that the revisions to the 2016 junior doctor contract on pay are translated into the pay and contracts of academic trainees employed by universities.
- To ensure revision of the guidance on eligibility for the academic pay premium.
- To ensure enhanced supervision and governance of university-employed academic trainees when working in the NHS.
A key role of JATS is to plan and organise the BMA’s clinical academic trainees conference. The most recent conference was held in February 2019. If you have suggestions for content and speakers for future conferences, do get in contact at [email protected].
Chair: Bala Karunakaran
Deputy chair: Yanushi Wijeyeratne
Three trainee members of the MASC
Dr Ella Mi
Dr Carmen Soto
Dr Yanushi Wijeyeratne
Three members of the JDC
Dr Catherine Atkin
Dr Melody Redman
Dr Jeeves Wijesuriya
One officer of the MASC appointed by MASC
Professor David Katz
One officer of the JDC appointed by JDC
Dr Lucie Cocker
One member of MSC, appointed by MSC
One academic trainee appointed by the GPC trainees committee
Dr Georgina Neve
One academic trainee appointed by the PHM registrars subcommittee
Four academic trainees not otherwise involved as members of a BMA committee, elected by the Clinical Academic Trainees Conference
One academic trainee from Scotland
One academic trainee from Northern Ireland
One academic trainee from Wales
JDC rep to MASC
Co-chairs of MASC
Dr Peter Dangerfield
Dr David Strain
Chair of JDC
Dr Sarah Hallett
Scottish academic trainees rep to MASC
Representative of dental academic trainees
Dr Stefan Serban
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about the work of JATS, or in getting involved, please contact [email protected].