The BMA's international committee includes representatives from all the main branches of practice. Members discuss European, international and immigration issues of interest to the medical profession and make policy recommendations.
- Brexit - including mutual recognition of European medical qualifications and workforce pressures.
- Global health - including supporting the health information needs of doctors in low resource settings.
- Fair medical trade - including protecting the health and rights of workers manufacturing medical products used in the NHS.
- UK immigration legislation - including how changes to the immigration rules affect doctors and medical students.
- Refugee health and doctors - including the key legal, ethical and practical considerations for doctors providing care to refugee and asylum seekers.
Chair: Dr Kitty Mohan
Deputy chair: Dr John Firth
Chief officers (ex-officio)
Professor Martin McKee, BMA president
Dr Latifa Patel, BMA Chair of representative body
Professor Philp Banfield, BMA Chair of council
Dr Trevor Pickersgill, BMA Treasurer
Dr Emma Runswick, BMA deputy chair of council
Appointed by BMA committees
Dr John Firth, consultant committee
Kalindi Tumurugoti, general practitioners committee/sessional GPs
Daniel Zahedi, junior doctors committee
Professor Peter Dangerfield, medical academic committee
Surendra Kumar, medical ethics committee
Gabriella Ortega Kirton, medical students committee
Blandina Blackburn, occupational medicine committee
Dr Vinod Tohani, public health medicine committee
Dr Ujjwala Mohite, staff associate specialist committee
Dr Simon Minkoff, board of science
Emma Beeden, PLG rep
ARM: Elected by the representative body
Dr Terry John
Dr Amit Kochhar
Dr Mary McCarthy
Dr Kitty Mohan
Heads of delegations (co-opted):
Dr Mary McCarthy, UEMO
Take part in one of our free courses designed to give you the right skills to:
- break down equality and inclusion bias (CPD-accredited)
- value difference and inclusivity
- live our BMA behaviour principles.
The international committee meets three times a year to discuss the latest issues. These meetings are open to committee members only.
- Tuesday 14 March 2023 (virtual)
- Tuesday 6 June 2023 (in-person/hybrid)
All our meetings take place either virtually or at:
For more information, email [email protected].
How to join
There are many advantages to becoming involved in our committees. You can actively influence BMA policy-making and negotiations, represent your colleagues' voices and develop your leadership skills.
Each committee has a few routes to becoming an elected member. In the case of the IC, this is:
- Seats/term - every year, elections for four seats on IC take place for a one-session term.
- Timeline - the nomination period opens a month before ARM and voting closes a few days after ARM.
- Eligibility - all BMA members can stand for election but only ARM delegates can vote.
The election section below is kept up to date with details about any running elections, so make sure you keep checking it throughout the year.
Election to IC is closed.
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the work of the international committee, email [email protected].