The BMA's international committee includes representatives from all the main branches of practice. Members discuss European, international and immigration issues of interest to the medical profession and make policy recommendations.
- Brexit - including mutual recognition of European medical qualifications and workforce pressures.
- Global health - including supporting the health information needs of doctors in low resource settings.
- Fair medical trade - including protecting the health and rights of workers manufacturing medical products used in the NHS.
- UK immigration legislation - including how changes to the immigration rules affect doctors and medical students.
- Refugee health and doctors - including the key legal, ethical and practical considerations for doctors providing care to refugee and asylum seekers.
Chair: Dr Terry John
Deputy chair: Dr John Firth
Chief officers (ex-officio)
Professor Raanan Gillon, President
Dr Helena McKeown, Chair of the representative body
Dr Chaand Nagpaul, Chair of council
Dr Trevor Pickersgill, Treasurer
Appointed by BMA committees
Dr Gurdas Singh, Board of science
Dr John Firth, Consultants committee
Dr Bethan Roberts, General practitioners committee
Katherine Ripullone, Junior doctors committee
Professor Peter Dangerfield, Medical academic staff committee
Dr John Chisholm, Medical ethics committee
Asim Abbas, Medical students
Vinod Tohani (deputy: Dr Bharat Pankhania), Public health medicine committee
Dr Ujjwala Mohite, Staff and Associate specialists committee
Elected by the Representative body
Dr Terry John
Dr Andrew Rowland
Dr Kitty Mohan
Dr Ellen McCourt
Heads of delegations (co-opted):
Dr Mary McCarthy, UEMO
The international committee meets three times a year to discuss the latest issues. These meetings are open to committee members only.
- Wednesday 20 May 2020
All our meetings take place at:
For more information, email [email protected].
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the work of the international committee, email [email protected].