The CMM (committee for medical managers) supports medical managers by:
- acting as an advisory body for council on medical management issues
- raising the profile of medical leadership and management in the health service
- providing a forum for medical managers to debate medical management issues.
There is wide variation in the type of contracts of employment and methods of pay for medical managers. Even though there is not a nationally agreed standard that covers all medical managers - except for board medical directors in NHS Scotland - it is important for doctors engaging in these roles to be aware of their rights and check that the employment offer and working arrangements are fit for purpose. Our guidance attempts to ensure that all medical managers receive appropriate terms and conditions regardless of their employer.
Promoting medical leadership and management
The committee is working with the junior doctors committee to promote management roles and the leadership and management career pathway among junior doctors. The committee is also working on the development of a leadership offer for our members.
Brexit and the workforce
The BMA is focused on ensuring that the NHS and medical research in the UK can attract and retain the workforce it needs after leaving the European Union. This work includes ensuring mutual recognition of professional qualifications. The committee will continue to be closely involved with BMA work on Brexit as it progresses.
Dr Andrew Seymour
Dr Michael Rees
Deputy chair for primary care: Dr Ricky Bhabutta
- Seven medically qualified managers who work in secondary practice (including at least two who have medical director responsibilities at board level).
- Seven medically qualified managers who work in primary care practice - including those who work in primary care organisations or within clinical commissioning groups (including at least two who have medical director responsibilities at board level).
- One medically qualified manager in community care practice.
- One medical qualified chief executive.
- One medically qualified director of public health or a medical manager working mainly in public health.
- We also invite observers from the BMA branch of practice committees.
- We may also co-opt up to two extra doctors to represent members in groups not otherwise covered above.
The committee meets four times a year to discuss the latest issues affecting medical managers. The meetings are open to committee members only.
- Friday 3 April 2020
- Friday 5 June 2020
All our meetings take place from 11am to 3pm at:
There are currently no elections underway for positions on the CMM; however, we have vacancies for:
- one medically qualified manager who works in secondary practice.
If you are interested in this position email [email protected].
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the work of the CMM, please email [email protected].