In collaboration with NHS Employers, Health Education England and the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, the BMA published the SAS charter for England in 2014. The BMA have since adapted the SAS charter for all other UK nations.
What's included in the charter?
The SAS charter will help you to elevate your position at work, hold your employers accountable and provide greater development and working opportunities.
The themes in the charters are based around:
- minimum conditions of employment
- revalidation, appraisal and job planning
- helping SAS doctors to feel effectively supported
- opportunities for development
- involvement in management structures.
Download the charter specific to your nation
- Download the SAS charter for England.
- Download the SAS charter for Scotland.
- Download the SAS charter for Wales.
- Download the SAS charter for Northern Ireland.
How to implement the charter
The toolkits and checklist encourages SAS doctors and employers to work together to implement the charter in your place of employment.
SAS charter resources
- The SAS charter implementation checklist - useful steps on how to measure performance, develop business plans and gain support from stakeholders.
- The SAS charter toolkit for England - jointly created by the BMA and NHS Employers, the toolkit consists of both evaluation and monitoring resources.
- The SAS charter implementation toolkit for Wales.