This page is part of our toolkit for international medical graduates looking to apply for a visa. Use the menu on the left to navigate the steps needed to become a doctor in the UK.
Step 6: submit your application
- You can apply for the tier 2 health and care visa if have a job offer from the NHS, an organisation providing medical services to the NHS or an organisation providing adult social care.
- The cost of a visa for up to three years is £232 and a visa for more than three years costs £464. This fee is the same whether you apply from inside or outside the UK.
- Your dependents will pay the same amount. The earliest you can apply for your visa is up to three months before the day you are due to start work in the UK.
- The date is included in your certificate of sponsorship and you will usually get a decision on your visa within five working days.
You can find out more on GOV.UK.
Tips for making your application
- Check that all the details on your certificate of sponsorship are correct.
- If you are not already in the UK, make sure you send your criminal records certificate in with your application.
- Make sure you apply for your tier 2 visa within the dates of your certificate of sponsorship.
- Your employer may need to pay the immigration skills charge - this charge should not be passed onto you - if your employer asks you to pay it, you should seek advice.
- Make sure you have the correct maintenance funds in your bank account and evidence to prove this.
Our dedicated immigration advice service can give you free, basic advice on your visa situation.
Call - 0300 123 1233