We're there when you need us.
We've been helping doctors and medical students for 190 years, so we know the challenges that they face during their training and after it.
We know that you have to take in a lot of information, and quickly, so we provide access to the BMA Library, and BMJ learning, to keep you up to date, along with research, webinars and all the other resources you could need to learn, now and throughout your career.
We know that planning your future can be difficult, so we provide the mentoring, advice and resources you need to plot your path and continue learning, throughout your studies and after them.
We know that learning to work with patients can be challenging, so we have a host of wellbeing resources, along with free and confidential advice, counselling and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, whether you're a member or not.
We’ll look after you. You look after your studies.
Very, very good experience and the person I spoke to was clearly very knowledgeable and understood the situation there is nothing that would improve it, it was a very good experience, thank you.Medical student, BMA member
Backup when you need it the most
We've been on call for the medical profession for a long time.
That's why we offer a huge range of resources, advice, and assistance to medical students throughout their training, from the vast library of journals, texts, and training modules in the BMA Library, through to webinars, e-learning and speciality selection tools.
Alongside this we offer mentoring, professional guidance throughout your career, as well confidential advice, and wellbeing support.
All the resources you could ever need to plan, advance and enhance your career.
Joining the BMA gives you access to:
- BMA Library; with thousands of e-journals including the Lancet and Jama, and a huge range of elearning tools and texts.
- ClinicalKey: a powerful medical search engine that supports doctors with latest evidence.
- Over 1,000 CPD-accredited modules through BMA and BMJ Learning platforms.
- Specialty Explorer, our tool that matches you with medical specialties that suit your preferences.
- BMA Webinars on a vast range & variety of topics.
- BMJ's 70+ online and print peer-reviewed medical trade journals, to keep you up to date with the latest medical news.
There is always someone to talk to.
We see constantly, first-hand, how it is to study at medical school and work.
That's why we've ensured that you have a safety net:
- 24/7 counselling and peer support service open to all medical students and doctors regardless of membership.
- Confidential face-to-face therapy.
- Advice and guidance for all aspects of dealing with stress and preventing burnout.
- A network of support - online, on the phone, and in your local area, there will always be someone you can talk to.
Backup when you need it most.
From specialty selection through to becoming a physician and beyond, we know what support you might need during and even towards the end of your career:
- Contracts and rota checking; a dedicated team of experts to ensure that your paperwork and working hours are correct.
- We have over 200 specialist advisers including career, legal and pensions & financial expertise.
- Rota checker tools.
- Representation so that all our members can get help with a difficult situation at work.
Join the doctors' fight for pay. Our support for doctors goes beyond their careers.
For 190 years, we at the BMA have helped to ensure that the voices of our members are heard, lobbying dozens of different governments on their behalf.
While you're caring for your patients, you can rest assured that our experienced teams are at work at the highest level:
- Negotiating on your behalf over pay and working conditions.
- Lobbying the government for better contract terms.
- Today we are fighting for junior doctors' pay.
1st year of medical school
2nd and 3rd year of medical school
£3.25p per month
4th year and beyond students
£3.75p per month
Very satisfied and impressed with the answers and the advisor… and yes, I don't think there's any room for improvement she was great actually, thank you.Medical student, BMA member
1. Complete our easy online application form in 5 minutes
2. You're a member! Start enjoying your benefits straight away.
3. We'll send you a welcome pack in the post.
Included in your membership
Including access to:
- Over 23million references from over 5000 e-books and e-journals through BMA library.
- Over 70 BMJ journals (print and online), worth £354 a year.
- CPD accredited elearning modules from BMA & BMJ learning, worth over £114.
- BMA Law services, up to 25% off for you and your family.
- Discounted financial products and advice with Chase De Vere Medical and Ernst & Young.
- Consultations on Junior Doctor contracts and pay.
We're here to help you from the moment you join us. If you have a need that predates your BMA membership, assistance may be limited to telephone and email service only. Contact the BMA to discuss any issue you have and we'll let you know where you stand.
Joining for one month only is not recommended as you won't be guaranteed continued support and workplace protection. However, you can leave after one calendar month, if you choose. BMA membership is a reoccurring yearly membership. The subscription year runs from 1 October to 30 September.
We offer a discount for spouses/partners of BMA members. If you're on maternity leave, on lower income or having a career break, going overseas, a doctor new to the UK or permanently retired, we can offer a reduced subscription rate depending on your circumstances. After 50 years of membership, we give it to you for free.
As a BMA member, you may be eligible to claim tax back from your subscription.
We only offer direct debit as a payment option when joining online, with the ability to pay monthly or annually. You can discuss other payment options with our Membership Services team at [email protected] or by calling 0300 123 1233.
See our full membership FAQs page for more information about joining or get in touch.