We're there when you need us.
We know how it is to be on the frontline of healthcare.
We know the pressures you're under; so we provide employment support. From managing your workload, and checking your contracts, pay and leave, we're here to support you.
We know how the health service works; so we help GPs to manage their workloads and responsibilities, from the inner workings of PCNs, to service provision and complaints through to vaccinations and prescriptions. We're experts in locum cover and contracts and have in-house experts on everything from law to finance, understanding pensions, or mortgages and investments.
We know general practice isn't always easy; so we provide advice and a myriad of resources for GPs, no matter what you might be facing, free mediation if things get difficult, as well as confidential 24/7 counselling and wellbeing support.
We'll look after you, and your practice. You look after your patients.
The employment and pension advice that I have had from the BMA over the years is, without doubt, worth my entire career subscriptions. Don't waste your time with other advisers either.GP, BMA member
Backup when you need it the most
We've been on call for the medical profession for a long time.
That's why we offer backup and assistance to doctors throughout their career, from learning and development, through contract, legal and pension support, to someone to talk to if you need them, and much more.
All the resources you could ever need to advance and enhance your career.
Joining the BMA gives you access to:
- World-leading journal The BMJ to keep you up to date with news and opinions from the world of medicine. As a member you’ll receive a full subscription in print and online
- BMJ learning gives you access to hundreds of peer-reviewed CPD-accredited online courses to help progress your career
- Live and recorded webinars in topics from time management and emotional intelligence, to interview skills and assertiveness
- BMA Library, with thousands of online journals, ClinicalKey for point of care support, and staff on hand to help you find the best evidence for your research
There is always someone to talk to.
We encourage anyone who is feeling under strain to seek support.
That's why we've ensured that you have help if you need it:
- 24/7 counselling and peer support services open to all doctors regardless of membership
- advice and guidance for all aspects of dealing with stress and preventing burnout
- networking groups and wellbeing hubs with peers
Backup when you need it most.
From specialty selection through to physician, we know what support you might need at every stage of your career, right through to retirement.
- expert employment advisers, available for advice about every part of your career
- a contract checking service to ensure that your contract is fair and reflects your role
- a specialist pensions team
- financial and legal advice - covering everything from pay queries to buying a house
- free consultations and webinars about your finances and legal affairs
- guidance for locums
Our support for doctors goes beyond their careers.
For 190 years, the BMA has helped to ensure the voices of our members are heard, lobbying national and local governments on your behalf.
While you're caring for your patients, you can rest assured that our experienced teams are here to:
- Support you in your negotiations with your employer on pay and working conditions.
- Lobby the Government for increased practice funding to improve terms and conditions for salaried and sessional staff.
- negotiate a new GP contract that introduces new safeguards to help improve work-life balance
- educate the public on the harmful false narratives GPs face, as well as demanding the Government to deliver on its commitments through our Rebuild General Practice campaign
- developing a CPI modeller for GPs so you can calculate the tax implications of the soaring rate of inflation on your pension
Standard membership offer includes all of the above benefits
£39.16 per month
Some concessions are available for certain groups (see FAQs below)
£14.41 per month
Special membership offer
New to the UK? Receive half-price membership for the first 2 years.
Half price for first 2 years
Outstanding - my advisors were knowledgeable, professional, reassuring, efficient, effective, and friendly.GP, BMA member
1. Complete our easy online application form in 5 minutes
2. You're a member! Start enjoying your benefits straight away.
3. We'll send you a welcome pack in the post.
Included in your membership
Including access to:
- BMA Law services, up to 25% off for you and your family.
- Discounted financial products and advice with Chase De Vere Medical and Ernst & Young.
- Over 70 BMJ journals (print and online), worth £866 a year.
- CPD accredited e-learning modules from BMA & BMJ learning, worth over £114.
We're here to help you from the moment you join us. If you have a need that predates your BMA membership, assistance may be limited to telephone and email service only. Contact the BMA to discuss any issue you have and we'll let you know where you stand.
Joining for one month only is not recommended as you won't be guaranteed continued support and workplace protection. However, you can leave after one calendar month, if you choose. BMA membership is a reoccurring yearly membership. The subscription year runs from 1 October to 30 September.
We offer a discount for spouses/partners of BMA members. If you're on maternity leave, on lower income or having a career break, going overseas, a doctor new to the UK or permanently retired, we can offer a reduced subscription rate depending on your circumstances. After 50 years of membership, we give it to you for free.
As a BMA member, you may be eligible to claim tax back from your subscription.
We only offer direct debit as a payment option when joining online, with the ability to pay monthly or annually. You can discuss other payment options with our Membership Services team at [email protected] or by calling 0300 123 1233.
See our full membership FAQs page for more information about joining or get in touch.