We're there when you need us.
We've been representing doctors as a trade union for 190 years, so we know how it is at every stage of your professional journey.
We know the challenges for locally employed doctors, so our team of experienced specialists are fighting locally and nationally for better working conditions, helping LEDs move from temporary to permanent contracts and negotiating better pay deals.
We know the support that you need, so we've created specialist adviser roles, mentoring and guidance from experienced professionals, and checklists for locally employed doctors, helping you ensure that your working arrangements are fit for purpose.
We know that you're looking to progress; so we provide access to BMJ learning, where you can find clinical practice and job planning skills, along with access to hundreds of CPD learning modules covering every possible aspect of your professional development.
We know that planning the next stage of your career takes time; so we provide financial and legal guidance, pensions advice, contract checking, and make sure the minute details are taken care of for you.
We’ll look after you. You look after your patients.
As an IMG, it is often difficult to achieve a career goal. Comprehensive support from BMA can make the journey easier. Whether it is a visa problem or a workplace bullying issue I always get help and expert advice from BMA. Thank you, BMA!Dr Ismot, locally employed doctor
All the backup you need
We've been on call for the medical profession for a long time.
That's why we offer backup and assistance to doctors throughout their career, from learning and development, through contract and pension support, to someone to talk to if you need them, and much more.
Our support for doctors goes beyond their careers.
For 190 years, we at the BMA have helped to ensure the voices of our members are heard, lobbying national and local governments on your behalf.
While you're caring for your patients, you can rest assured that our experienced teams are working at the local and national level:
- Surveying trusts to get a better understanding of the number of LEDs working across the country and supporting their training and contract discussions
- Negotiating on your behalf on pay and working conditions and lobbying the government for better contract terms
- Helping doctors move from temporary to permanent contracts
Backup when you need it most.
From specialty selection through to becoming a physician and beyond, we know what support you might need during and even towards the end of your career:
Expert employment advisers, available for career, legal and pensions and financial expertise
Contracts and rota checking; a dedicated team of experts to ensure that your paperwork and working hours are correct
- A specialist pensions team
All the resources you could ever need to advance and enhance your career.
Joining the BMA gives you access to:
BMJ’s 70+ online and print peer-reviewed medical trade journals, to keep you up to date with the latest medical news
Over 1,000 CPD-accredited modules through BMA and BMJ Learning platforms
A huge range of e-learning tools
There is always someone to talk to.
We know how difficult it can be to manage your workload.
That's why we've ensured that you have help if you need it:
- A network of support - online, on the phone, and in your local area, there will always be someone you can talk to
- 24/7 counselling and peer support service open to all doctors regardless of membership
- GMC investigation support; confidential, emotional support for doctors going through fitness to practise procedures
- Advice and guidance for all aspects of dealing with stress and preventing burnout
First year of membership
Offer includes all of the above benefits
£10.08 per month
2nd, 3rd & 4th year of membership
Offer includes all of the above benefits
£20.00 per month
Concessions for certain groups (see FAQs)
From £14.41 per month
Included in your membership
Including access to:
- BMA Law services, up to 25% off for you and your family.
- Discounted financial products and advice with Chase De Vere Medical and Ernst & Young.
- Over 70 BMJ journals (print and online), worth £354 a year.
- CPD accredited e-learning modules from BMA & BMJ learning, worth over £114.
1. Complete our easy online application form in 5 minutes
2. You're a member! Start enjoying your benefits straight away.
3. We'll send you a welcome pack in the post.
We're here to help you from the moment you join us. If you have a need that predates your BMA membership, assistance may be limited to telephone and email service only. Contact the BMA to discuss any issue you have and we'll let you know where you stand.
Joining for one month only is not recommended as you won't be guaranteed continued support and workplace protection. However, you can leave after one calendar month, if you choose. BMA membership is a reoccurring yearly membership. The subscription year runs from 1 October to 30 September.
We offer a discount for spouses/partners of BMA members. If you're on maternity leave, on lower income or having a career break, going overseas, a doctor new to the UK or permanently retired, we can offer a reduced subscription rate depending on your circumstances. After 50 years of membership, we give it to you for free.
As a BMA member, you may be eligible to claim tax back from your subscription.
We only offer direct debit as a payment option when joining online, with the ability to pay monthly or annually. You can discuss other payment options with our Membership Services team at [email protected] or by calling 0300 123 1233.
See our full membership FAQs page for more information about joining or get in touch.