We’re there when you need us.
We’ve been representing doctors for 190 years, so we know how it is.
At this stage of your professional journey -
We know that you need representation; so, we negotiate at local and national levels, representing doctors both individually and collectively to secure better pay and rights.
We know that you need support at work, so we provide individual employment advice, including contract checking, leave, remuneration and guidance and representation from experienced professionals.
We know that you’re looking to progress during and after training; so, we provide access to the BMJ online and in print, hundreds of clinical and non-clinical CPD-accredited modules with BMJ Learning, discounted entry to BMJ masterclasses, GP general update and point of care support with ClinicalKey and access to our evidence support team who are on hand to help with your research.
We’ll look after you. You look after your patients.
The BMA really knows about our struggles… and are doing something about it, a BMA subscription is not a should but a must.Dr Derek, IMG and GP registrar
Backup when you need it the most
We’ve been on call for the medical profession for a long time. That’s why we offer backup and assistance to doctors throughout their career. From learning and development, through contract and pension support, to someone to talk to if you need them, and much more.
Our support for doctors goes beyond their careers.
For 190 years, we at the BMA have helped to ensure the voices of our members are heard, lobbying national and local governments on your behalf.
While you're caring for your patients, you can rest assured that our experienced teams are working at the highest level:
- This year, we are seeking to help improve the working lives of junior doctors across the UK, including strike action.
Ongoing we are constantly:
- Negotiating on your behalf over pay and working conditions.
- Lobbying the government for better contract terms.
Backup when you need it most.
From registrar to GP, we know what support you might need before, during and even towards the end of your career:
- Expert employment advisers, available for career, legal and pensions & financial expertise.
- Contracts and rota checking; a dedicated team of experts to ensure that your paperwork and working hours are correct.
- A specialist pensions team.
All the resources you could ever need to advance and enhance your career.
Joining the BMA gives you access to:
- BMA library and archive services, providing access to the top e-journals and e-books, as well as an evidence support team on-hand to help with your research.
- ClinicalKey for point of care support.
- Leading medical research journal, The BMJ to keep you up to date with the latest medical news.
- Hundreds of CPD-accredited clinical and non-clinical modules with BMJ Learning.
- Member exclusive rates for BMJ Masterclasses: GP general update
- Ethics guidance.
There is always someone to talk to.
We know how difficult it can be to manage your workload when training. That’s why we’ve ensured that you have help if you need it:
- 24/7 counselling and peer support service open to all doctors regardless of membership.
- BMA members, plus their partners and dependents, can also access a free structured course of up to six sessions of therapy with a counsellor.
- Advice and guidance for all aspects of dealing with stress & preventing burnout.
- A network of support - online, on the phone, and in your local area, there will always be someone you can talk to.
- GMC investigation support: confidential, emotional support for doctors going through fitness to practise procedures.
Included in your membership
- BMA Law services, member-exclusive rates for you and your family.
- Discounted financial products and advice with Chase De Vere Medical
- Tax expertise from Ernst & Young at member-exclusive rates.
- Personal and commercial insurance with Lloyd & whyte
- The BMJ (print and online), worth £425 a year.
- BMJ Learning, providing hundreds of clinical and non-clinical CPD-accredited e-learning modules, worth over £114 per year.
- Point of care support with ClinicalKey
1. Complete our easy online application form in 5 minutes.
2. You’re a member! Start enjoying your benefits straight away.
3. We’ll send you a welcome pack in the post.
We are here to help from the moment you join us. If you have a need that predates your BMA membership, assistance may be limited to telephone and email advice only.
Contact the BMA to discuss any issue you have and we will let you know where you stand.
BMA membership is a recurring yearly membership. The subscription year runs from 1 October to 30 September.
We offer a discount of half the price of membership for overseas qualified doctors who have never been a BMA member. spouses / partners of BMA members.
We only offer direct debit as a payment option when joining online, with the ability to pay monthly or annually. You can discuss other payment options with our Membership Services team at [email protected] or by calling 0300 123 1233.
See our full membership FAQs page for more information about joining or get in touch.