What you will get from this briefing
- Policy recommendations across four core parts
of people’s lives – travel, leisure, school and work.
- Why physical activity is beneficial for people's health.
- Recent statistics to support recommendations.
- Increase the cross-departmental budget for active travel to £20 per head.
- Provide local government with the resource to reverse budget cuts to open spaces and recreation facilities, with targeted additional investment in the most deprived local areas.
- Physical education needs to be recognised and protected as an essential part of the school curriculum.
- The NHS should act as an 'anchor institution' to encourage and facilitate active travel and set an example for other employers.