BMA Family Friendly Fund
The BMA Family friendly fund provides care arrangements to allow committee and board members to participate fully in BMA activities.
You can request care provision if you are:
- attending a meeting for which committee members can claim honoraria
- attending a branch of practice conference or the Annual Representative meeting
- attending a meeting or conference on BMA business when you would normally have caring responsibilities.
Members requiring care provision for a meeting outside these criteria must write to the secretariat providing details and the issue will be discussed with the BMA treasurer.
Crèche facilities are not automatically provided at all BMA events, but every effort will be made to provide care if notice is given.
We can provide care services for:
- children under 14 years
- adults and older children requiring care.
If attendance at a BMA meeting or conference requires you to be away from home when you would normally be looking after a child or dependant, the BMA will reimburse the costs of additional care you need to arrange as required.
How to apply
Anyone requiring care for a dependant must make a request in writing to the relevant secretariat or BMA staff member who is organising the eligible event a minimum of four weeks before the event.
Once the request has been received, the secretariat will give you the care provider’s contact details. You are then required to liaise with the care provider directly to arrange the care. The form can be obtained through your secretariat or the BMA conference organiser.
The provider will require you to complete and return to them their booking form so that the care can be arranged. In compliance with GDPR policy, the BMA does not at any point receive the personal data of the dependent requiring care.
Facilities may not be provided if a requestform is received later than four weeks before the event. If you are required to attend a meeting at less than four weeks' notice and require care arrangements, please speak to your secretariat as soon as possible.
What we can provide
- On-site care, where possible, during the hours of a meeting or conference, and up to an hour before it opens and after it closes.
- The cost of providing care facilities for official evening and afternoon events (eg dinners or lectures) which are scheduled as part of an eligible event’s agenda.
- If you are required to attend a meeting and would prefer to use your regular care provider, the BMA will reimburse any additional reasonable costs you may incur. Additional care costs may be claimed through the normal expenses procedure.
- Age-appropriate healthy snacks and beverages mid-morning and mid-afternoon.
- An age-appropriate lunch if you have given advance notice your dependant cannot be collected during the lunch period.
What we cannot provide
- You are responsible for any other provisions (ie formula milk, baby food, medicines, nappies, spare clothing, a familiar toy or dummy).
- You are responsible for administering any medication.
- The BMA will not reimburse the expenses of bringing a child/dependant to a meeting, or any additional accommodation costs incurred by a carer if their child/dependant accompanies them. The BMA is not able to reimburse payments made to relatives who may provide care.
- If a parent decides to bring a childminder to a meeting or conference, the BMA will meet the actual costs the member incurs for the childminder/ carer service, but not reimburse the childminder's expenses, including travel and accommodation.
- The BMA will be unable to provide onsite care for individuals with complex care needs. Members requiring complex care for a dependant or child should arrange care through their normal care provider and apply for reimbursement.
- The BMA does not permit children or dependants to be taken off-site while they are under the care of care providers sourced by the BMA, even when you have given permission for this. If there are open spaces within the confines of the venue (where the event is taking place) that are accessible and safe, then the BMA can, subject to receiving your permission, authorise carers to accompany children and dependants to those spaces for fresh air.
Care at BMA House
A mobile crèche and babysitting service will be provided as appropriate.
Care at BMA events outside BMA House
Care facilities will be available during the time you are on BMA business. This includes the ARM (annual representative meeting).
Care at external meetings and conferences
Care facilities may not always be available on-site at external events, in which case you may have to use your local care provider. The BMA will reimburse any additional reasonable costs you may incur.
The BMA shall not be liable for any aspect of service performance of the care providers we have sourced for members attending BMA conferences or meetings. Furthermore, the BMA shall not be liable for the use of personal data provided by members to external care providers of facilities.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact the BMA’s Corporate Development team by email at [email protected].