Examples of work
- Medico-legal (not covered in our existing medico-legal guidance).
- Statements of fact.
- Simple counter-signature as a person of standing in a regulated profession on a document (for example, driving licences and citizenship applications).
- Attendance at airports.
- Attendance at patient’s request at a police station
- Professional attendance at private events (including sporting events).
- Lectures eg for a college of further education.
- Removal of a pacemaker prior to disposal of a body.
- Court exemption: from attending as a witness on medical grounds.
- Drivers: full medical examination and completion of forms for vocational drivers licence (for example, large goods vehicles and passenger carrying vehicles, taxi).
- Fitness to drive for insurance purposes (for example, for a racing driver or powerboat).
- Aviation licence (pilots) - these can only be performed by Civil Aviation Authority approved medical examiners.
- Fitness for exercise or hazardous activities (for example, scuba diving and parachuting).
- Patients for self-referral overseas.
- Seat belt exemption.
- Private prescription for private patient, or drugs required for travel abroad (private or NHS patient).
- Abortion (confirmatory) certificate; second certificate under the Abortion Act 1967 in cases where the patient is not on the GP's practice NHS list.
- Vaccination and immunisation for travel abroad.