Fees for asbestos medicals

Guidance for doctors completing a medical examination for Asbestos Notifiable Non-Licensed Work (NNLW).

Location: UK
Audience: All doctors
Updated: Monday 7 September 2020
Till article illustration

Medical examinations

All individuals undertaking notifiable non-licensed work (NNLW) must have a medical examination carried out by a licensed medical practitioner and repeated every three years.

There is no nationally set fee for this work so doctors should agree a fee before undertaking the examination.


Registered medical practitioners

HSE (Health and Safety Executive) can appoint registered medical practitioners to undertake statutory medical surveillance. Although appointed by HSE, doctors are not employees.

The company requiring statutory medical surveillance is responsible for agreeing conditions of service and payments with the appointed doctor.