We're there when you need us.
We've been helping doctors for 190 years, so we know how it is for consultants.
We know that your time is limited - so we ensure that you have access to our specialist employment advisers, including contract checking, legal and financial services and pensions advice. We also provide guidance on your rights around pay rates for non-contractual work with our consultant’s rate card.
We know that you must be actively engaged in your own professional development - so we provide access to CPD-accredited BMJ Learning and masterclasses, with modules ranging from clinical practice to management skills, along with BMA conferences and other events.
We know you want the best for your patients - which is why we make sure our members have access to the best professional tools, advice, and information.
We know that you're on a continuous learning curve - so we provide the resources you need to constantly learn, alongside your career.
We’ll look after you. You look after your patients.
Incredibly well informed and really, really helpful your employment advisers are absolutely superb thank you.Consultant, BMA member
Backup when you need it the most
We've been on call for the medical profession for a long time.
That's why we offer backup and assistance to doctors throughout their career, from learning and development, through contract, legal and pension support, to someone to talk to if you need them, and much more.
Backup when you need it most.
From tuition through to physician, we know what support you might need before, during and even towards the end of your career:
- expert employment advisers, available for advice about every part of your career.
- financial and legal advice - covering everything from pay queries to buying a house
- a specialist pensions team, NHS pension calculator and pension modeller tools
- free consultations and webinars
All the resources you could ever need to advance and enhance your career.
Joining the BMA gives you access to:
- hundreds of CPD-accredited modules from BMJ Learning – popular topics for consultants include Workload and time management, Assertiveness in the workplace, and Emotional intelligence
- world-leading medical research journal, the BMJ in print and online to keep you up to date with the latest medical news
- BMA Library, with thousands of online journals, ClinicalKey for point of care support, and staff on hand to help you find the best evidence for your research
There is always someone to talk to.
We see constantly, first hand, how it is to be on the frontline. That's why we’ve ensured that you have a safety net:
- 24/7 counselling and peer support services open to all doctors and their families regardless of membership
- advice and guidance for all aspects of dealing with stress and preventing burnout
- networking groups and wellbeing hubs with peers
Our support for doctors goes beyond their careers.
For 190 years, we at the BMA have helped to ensure that the voices of our members are heard, lobbying dozens of different governments on their behalf.
While you're caring for your patients, you can rest assured that our experienced teams are at work at the highest level:
- Negotiating on your behalf over pay and working conditions.
- Lobbying the government for better contract terms.
Standard membership offer includes all of the above benefits
£39.16 per month
Some concessions are available for certain groups (see FAQs below)
£14.41 per month
Special membership offer
New to the UK? Receive half-price membership for the first 2 years.
Half price for first 2 years
Included in your membership
- BMA Law provides a range of legal services at preferential rates for BMA members to support your professional and personal life.
- Whether you're seeking guidance on your savings, investments, or mortgages or you're starting to think about retirement our financial partner Chase de Vere Medical can help.
- For tax advice, our partner Ernst & Young have exclusive rates for BMA members.
- World-leading journal The BMJ will keep you up to date with news and opinions from the world of medicine. As a member you receive a full subscription in print and online worth £866 per year.
- BMJ learning gives you access to hundreds of peer-reviewed CPD-accredited online courses to help progress your career, worth over £114 per year.
Service was incredibly easy to use and very prompt thank you.Consultant, BMA member
1. Complete our easy online application form in 5 minutes
2. You're a member! Start enjoying your benefits straight away.
3. We'll send you a welcome pack in the post.
We're here to help you from the moment you join us. If you have a need that predates your BMA membership, assistance may be limited to telephone and email service only. Contact the BMA to discuss any issue you have and we'll let you know where you stand.
Joining for one month only is not recommended as you won't be guaranteed continued support and workplace protection. However, you can leave after one calendar month, if you choose. BMA membership is a reoccurring yearly membership. The subscription year runs from 1 October to 30 September.
We offer a discount for spouses/partners of BMA members. If you're on maternity leave, on lower income or having a career break, going overseas, a doctor new to the UK or permanently retired, we can offer a reduced subscription rate depending on your circumstances. After 50 years of membership, we give it to you for free.
As a BMA member, you may be eligible to claim tax back from your subscription.
We only offer direct debit as a payment option when joining online, with the ability to pay monthly or annually. You can discuss other payment options with our Membership Services team at [email protected] or by calling 0300 123 1233.
See our full membership FAQs page for more information about joining or get in touch.