2016 winners announced
The winner of the 2016 competition is Warwickshire GP Felicitas Woodhouse. Our sincere thanks to all who entered this year's competition.
We will be publishing the winner and runner up in a special digital feature in August.
Read the first of our highly commended entries Death Warmed Up, written by ST4 in emergency medicine Anjali Harrison.
2016 writing competition details
A good death?
Not many of us can live like David Bowie, but could we die like him.
It seems strange that a death from cancer could be described by one of his closest friends as a 'work of art'. But it was said in wonder at how a man so very famous could die a private death, just after adding to his artistic legacy.
Few of us need worry that our death will be a world news event, but we too desire some control over our passing.
All doctors must have seen a 'good death', even if they wouldn't describe it that way. A death that seemed right and fitting, that the patient chose or at least influenced, and that the best care made possible. And they've definitely seen a bad one too.
As the BMA conducts a major piece of work into end-of-life care we asked you to tell us about a death that touched you, for better or worse. We wanted to know what was special about the patient and the care they received, and about your interactions with them and their families.
Was theirs a death fit for a hero?
Follow #writeBMA on Twitter
Terms and conditions
- Entry is open to all BMA members.
- BMA employees or employees of companies sponsoring prizes are not eligible to enter. No purchase necessary.
- There is no cash alternative to the prizes offered.
- The editor's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries must be received by Monday 4 April 2016 before 5pm (BST).
- We plan to publish the winners' names and home towns. If you wish to request that we do not, please include this as part of your entry.
- By entering, authors are agreeing that their entries may be published on bma.org.uk, in BMA News and on the BMA's social media channels.