What you will get from the briefings
- Recommendations and actions for policymakers and doctors to take to support the process of healthy ageing.
- An exploration of how health and social care may be developed to meet the needs of older people in the UK.
- A look at the impact of long-term conditions, mental health and age stereotype on the treatment of older people.
- By 2040 nearly one in four people will be aged 65 or over.
- 850,000 people were estimated to be living with dementia in the UK by 2015. Services have been criticised for failing to keep pace with referral numbers and a lack of post-diagnostic support.
- Many of the social determinants that influence the health and wellbeing of older people in later life are amenable to change.
- Demographic changes have resulted in greater number of older people living longer with more disability and often with two or more long term conditions.
- Health care professionals and organisations should be aware that older individuals are potentially vulnerable to age prejudice and stereotyping processes.