We sent out our first survey at the beginning of April, our most recent survey closed on 18 December.
In total, nearly 7,800 doctors from England, Northern Ireland and Wales took part in our last survey. They continue to be vital in helping us tackle the issues doctors are experiencing on the ground and in providing the evidence we need to lobbying Government.
Survey results - December 2020
Members once again voiced their fears that the NHS will not cope with both the demands placed upon it by people with Covid and winter pressures, as well as the millions of patients on ever-growing waiting lists. They also revealed high levels of anxiety about the winter ahead.
- Almost 60% said they are now suffering from some form of anxiety, burnout or depression, with 46% say their condition has worsened since the start of the pandemic.
- 67% say that their levels of fatigue and exhaustion are higher than normal as they tackle the second wave and the growing backlog of care, on top of the usual Winter demand.
- Nearly half (47%) say that they are more likely to work fewer hours in the future, with a further 27% saying they are more likely to take early retirement and another 27% saying they are more likely to now take a career break.
We are campaigning for protections for doctors fighting COVID-19. BMA priorities are:
- Testing for healthcare workers
- Expanding the workforce
- Death in service protection
Enter your details and you will receive emails informing you about:
- COVID-19 guidance
- News and blogs about COVID-19
- Information on BMA support
- Updates on your working situation during the pandemic
You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time.