What you will get from this report
- Actions for policy makers and governments to improve the quality of, and access to, healthcare for women globally.
- Global statistics on maternal mortality and morbidity.
- Global statistics on family planning and abortion.
- Each year there are 213 million pregnancies globally, of which 75 million are unplanned. There are over 50 million induced abortions, of which 22 million are unsafe.
- In 2016, there were 303,000 maternal deaths, of which 25% were adolescent girls.
- Worldwide, pregnancy and childbirth is the number one killer of girls and young women aged 15–19 years, with 50,000 deaths per year.
- Providing all women with the choice of using effective contraception would reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies by 70% and reduce the unsafe abortion rate by 74%.
- Between 4.7% – 13.2% of maternal deaths can be attributed to unsafe abortion each year.