What you will get from this report
- BMA policies for the promotion of a healthy diet.
- Action points for reducing obesity and poor health.
- Key areas for reducing diet-related ill health.
- In the UK 63% of the adult population are overweight, and 27% are obese.
- 20% of children are obese by the time they reach
- Obesity related diseases cost the NHS in excess of £6bn per year and are calculated to impact wider society to the tune of £27bn per year.
- By 2050, overweight and obesity will cost the NHS an estimated £9.7bn per year, with societal costs of £49.9bn.
- 26% of Year 6 children in the most deprived areas are obese, compared with 11% in the least deprived.