In addition to the support offered by the International GP Recruitment Programme, the British Medical Association provides a wide range of additional resources to help you work effectively in the UK.
What is the BMA?
The BMA (British Medical Association) is the trade union and professional association for doctors in the UK and many thousands of GP Partners, Salaried / Sessional GPs and Locum GPs are members.
Discounted BMA membership trial
To help welcome you to the UK, the BMA has introduced a special membership offer for doctors new to the UK.
Start your membership
How can the BMA help me?
As a GP, membership of the BMA helps ensure you are paid correctly and fairly, your professional learning needs are addressed and your interests as a salaried GP are represented nationally and locally. The BMA is the only organisation to provide you with specialist employment advice on contracts and pay, job planning, leave entitlements and union protection if, for example, you are bullied, harassed or discriminated against at work. Membership also provides free access to BMJ learning, the most used learning resource amongst GPs.
The BMA support package for doctors on the International GP Recruitment Programme
- Specialist individual employment advice - For problems that can occur when working as a GP in the UK once you are on the medical performers list and employment is secured
- Support to adjust to UK working - UK medical ethics, professionalism, communication skills and teamworking appropriate to the UK setting
- Support with career development for GPs, e.g. appraisal and revalidation
- Support with legal and ethical aspects specific to working in the UK – e.g. guidance on UK Consent and Confidentiality
- A full spectrum of wellbeing support from preventative strategies such has practicing mindfulness to promote resilience through to more in depth support such as BMA confidential counselling therapy and the BMA Doctor Advisor service enabling you to speak to other doctors in confidence
- Brexit advice – BMA advice on the implications of Brexit developments for overseas nationals employed in the UK
- Connecting doctors – online community for overseas IMG (international medical graduate) GPs
- Free access to BMJ learning – GPs are the biggest group of doctors that use BMJ learning for professional development
How can I get these benefits?
The BMA has introduced a special membership offer - £19.16 per month until 30 September 2020 (if you have come into the UK within the last 12 months and are registered with the GMC). This is a discount for doctors new to UK practice. The standard membership fee is £38.41 per month. Please use the joining link below.