We offer an on-demand, by appointment only, one-to-one half day session to cover all the essentials of searching Medline, using the OvidSP interface.
Our tutorials can also be tailored to your individual needs, so get in touch to find out what we can offer you.
These bespoke tutorials are free for BMA members.
The cost for library institutional members is £80+VAT.
To book a session please email Helen Elwell.
The BMA Library ran the following two Critcal Appraisal Skills workshops in 2017, which were open to both BMA members and non-members.
Critical Appraisal Skills Workshops
These one-day workshops are highly interactive and practical with advanced tips and advice.
Aimed at clinicians, health librarians and healthcare professionals.
Thursday, 19 October 2017 (Introduction)*
Friday, 20 October 2017 (Extended)*
What is covered?
- What is critical appraisal and why is it important (Day 1)
- Detailed appraisal of a primary research study and a systematic review (Day 1)
- Facilitation appraisal in small groups (Day 1)
- Detailed appraisal of a qualitative study and a screening test (Day 2)
- Working with statistics and tests (Day 2)
- Costing of evidence (Day 2)
At the end of the course you will:
- Understand how to interpret a variety of clinical research formats
- Understand how to interpret statistics used in healthcare research
John Blenkinsopp, Clinical Effectiveness Advisor, North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust
Location and times:
British Medical Association (BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JP)
Registration - 9.45am; start - 10am; hot lunch - 12.00 noon to 1.00pm; finish - 4.00pm.
Each day costs £170+VAT for BMA members and £340+VAT for non-members.
*Special deal if you book on both days: £300+VAT for BMA members; £600+VAT for non-members
Please email Euphemia Abraham, the library administrator, if you have any queries about our courses.