About the event
Meetings and discussions between experts are increasingly being requested by the courts in an attempt to save court time, reduce legal costs and bring about a settlement between the parties. These discussions between experts may feel more informal than the courtroom, but can be just as important to the outcome of the case.
This course will provide experts with a comprehensive overview of what these discussions entail, possible pitfalls and the implications if best practice is not followed. Experts will gain a thorough understanding of the court procedure rules, governing discussions between experts and the court’s intention behind them. Role play exercises on the course will enable experts to apply newly acquired knowledge and practice the skills necessary to conduct effective discussions.
Key learning points
- Understanding the legal requirements and implications of discussions between experts.
- Preparing for the discussion between experts.
- Outlining the agenda of the discussion between experts.
- Gaining an overview of the Statement of Agreement and Disagreement, and minutes of the meeting.
- Being able to confidently respond to an instruction from the solicitor to avoid reaching agreement.
- Working with an expert who is not complying with their duties to the court.
The course will be led by a barrister who is a Bond Solon-trained trainer. With extensive experience of providing expert witness training to medico-legal experts, the trainer will adopt an interactive approach, including delegate participation and group work.