Following the success of the inaugural BMA Scottish conference in 2018, we are delighted to present “Doctors under pressure: Supporting the profession in Scotland” – providing doctors across Scotland with the opportunity to gain insight and explore strategies to improve the quality of their working life.
This is your chance to meet your peers and hear from leaders of the profession about the future of medical care in Scotland, to better understand how the pressures within the NHS and of modern medicine impact doctors, and how doctors individually and collectively can manage and mitigate this to improve their wellbeing and professional fulfilment. You can take part in a wide range of insightful workshops addressing the many facets of doctors’ working lives and wellbeing today, understand more about your contracts, learn about pension developments and how to avoid the pensions tax trap, how climate change is a critical healthcare issue, medical volunteering overseas and support from NHS Scotland, as well as hot topics in medical ethics.
The range of learning opportunities on offer should provide a worthwhile contribution to appraisal and revalidation. CPD accreditation has been applied for.
Attendees will have the chance to engage with senior and elected members of the BMA in Scotland to find out about the work that the Association does and gain a better understanding of the BMA’s representative structure and policy-setting process. Find out what we can do for you, how we can represent you, and how you can get involved.
- Professor Dame Parveen Kumar “Medicine succeeds at doctors' expense”
- Dr Chris Turner “Respect is due: civility saves lives”
- Dr Mike Farquhar “Why we need to talk about fatigue”
- Dr Lewis Morrison, Chair of BMA Scotland will address the key themes arising from the day, the challenges and opportunities they present, and the BMA’s top priorities in Scotland for the year ahead
There will be two parallel session of workshops at the conference. Please indicate the two you would prefer to attend on the registration form:
- Group consultations – what are the benefits?
- Whistleblowing: what it is and what it isn’t
- What’s happening with doctors’ pensions?
- The new GP contract – progress and future
- Know Your Contract Know Your Rights. (for employed doctors)
- Successful Job Planning – How to make your job plan work for you
- Global Citizen – reinvigorating clinicians
- How doctors can save the planet, and save money too! (climate change is a critical healthcare issue)
- Avoiding the pension tax trap – a pensions tax calculator
- Medical Ethics Update
- Primary/Secondary care interface working: How to deal with problems at the interface
Face-to-face employment or financial advice
There will be an opportunity to book a short introductory appointment with an employment advisor or financial advisor for advice. If you would like to do this, please indicate on the registration form.
Read what people said about last year’s BMA Scottish conference
- “Baroness Finlay and Sir Harry were completely inspiring. Thanks for a great day.”
- “Fantastic, relevant and engaging speakers.”
- “Overall, lovely presentation, gave us a lot of take-home messages and things to think about.”
- “An amazing series of enthralling, thought provoking talks/discussions!
- “Fantastic talks by all – incredible and inspiring. Well done BMA Scotland.”
99% of attendees surveyed rated the 2018 BMA Scottish conference as excellent or very good.
The conference has been approved by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom for 4 category 1 (external) CPD credit(s).