Sponsored by BMA Northern Ireland
With leadership one of the key skills needed for a career in any branch of practice, BMA Northern Ireland has elected to sponsor a leadership award for medical students as part of the Northern Ireland Healthcare Awards.
Who can enter the award?
The awards are open to all undergraduate medical students enrolled at medical school in Northern Ireland; they can either nominate on their own behalf or can be nominated by someone else.
The judging panel will then shortlist three or four finalists with the award being presented in late January.
What will the judges be looking for?
Judges will be looking for examples of how students have:
- positively impacted on fellow students to develop team working
- looked beyond standard information and then used that information to generate new ideas and make effective plans for improvement or change
- overcome barriers in their work while maintaining their core values and how they inspired others in tough times
- demonstrated leadership values that reflect the principles and core values of the NHS
Who is on the judging panel?
The judging panel, listed below, will shortlist three - four finalists based upon the written application and judging of these entries will take place in late January.
The finalists must be available to meet the judges on a date agreed with the judges in advance.
This year's judging panel includes:
- Dr John D. Woods - Chair, BMA Northern Ireland
- Dr Anne Kilgallen - Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Mr Hugh McCaughey - Chief Executive, South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust
- Professor Deirdre Heenan - PVC (Communications) and Provost University of Ulster (Coleraine and Magee)
What is the nomination deadline?
The closing date for nominations is Thursday 1 December.
Early nomination or self-nomination affords the candidate more time to complete information form.
Nominations or self-nominations for undergraduate students are invited from students and lecturers. Those nominating themselves need to complete an application form.
Download the application form (Word)
Those nominating someone else need to complete a nomination form. Nominees will then be emailed an application form to complete.
Download the nomination form (Word)
What is the entry deadline?
The closing deadline for completed entries is 4pm on Thursday 8th December 2016 and entries must be accompanied by a digital photograph, at least 500kb for printing quality.
About the Awards presentation
The finalists will be announced in the Northern Ireland Healthcare Review and invited with guests, compliments of British Medical Association (Northern Ireland), to attend the black tie awards ceremony at Belfast's Europa Hotel on Thursday 23rd February 2017.
The winner will be announced at the Awards ceremony and will receive a unique crystal trophy to mark the occasion.