Northern Ireland General Practitioners Committee (NIGPC) has worked alongside the department to develop a plan for primary care services. The report laid out clear actions that needed to be taken in order to address the ongoing issues faced by GPs across Northern Ireland.
The review laid out the following strategic goals and recommendations.
Building a stable GP workforce
- increase the number of GPs working in Northern Ireland
- ensure GPs have access to training that provides the skills needed for a career in general practice
- develop structures and teams to support GPs
Building a sustainable out of hours service
- provide an effective GP out of hours service
Driving innovation in general practice
- embed research and innovation within general practice to deliver high quality, accessible, sustainable and coordinated GP-led primary care services
Improving general practice infrastructure
- ensure that GP premises are fit for purpose and that GPs and their teams have access to the technology, equipment and physical space they need to provide high quality care and treatment
Delivering high quality, integrated and sustainable GP led primary care services
- introduce measure to reduce unnecessary demands on GP time and ensure that GP services are equipped to effectively respond to appropriate demand.
Read the ministerial announcement
Read the full ministerial document