General practitioner Practice manager GP practices England Wales

Last updated:

Focus on display energy certificates

What is a Display Energy Certificate?

A Display Energy Certificate (DEC) shows the energy performance of a building based on actual energy consumption as recorded over the last 12 months within the validity period of the DEC (the operational rating).


The rules changed in July 2015 – what does this mean?

For many years, any building that exceeds 500m2 which is frequently visited by the public has required a DEC is required for. As of 9th July 2015 a DEC will be required where the total useful floor area of the building exceeds 250m2 which 'is occupied in whole or part by public authorities and frequently visited by the public'.


Do these regulations apply to GP surgeries?

Yes. As GP practices are in receipt of public funds and provide a public service to large numbers of people who visit regularly, GP premises are included in the definition of a public building.


Who is responsible for arranging the DEC?

It is for the occupier of the building, rather than the owner to arrange the DEC (the use of the building will usually be dictated by the occupier so it would make sense for them to arrange same if the above criteria is applicable to them).

However, the position might be different if an NHS landlord such a NHS Property Services or Community Health Partnership owns the building, rather than a private landlord, in which case they will probably be responsible for obtaining and paying for the DEC.


Is guidance available?

Yes. Please refer the Department for Communities and Local Government guidance: Guide to Display Energy Certificates and Advisory reports for Public Buildings.

The guidance does also state that where there is doubt over whether a DEC is needed, it is good practice to obtain one. The DEC is purely based on the overall output of a building and not each single piece of equipment.

The following provides an overview of the validity periods for a DEC:

Floor Area (m2) Validity of DEC Validity of advisory report
>1000 1 year 7 years
501-100 10 years 10 years
>250-500 10 years 10 years

The assessment must be undertaken by an accredited energy assessor using the methodology approved by the Secretary of State. To check that an energy assessor is a member of an accreditation scheme, a search facility is available on the central register website.


Further reading

The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations