Last updated:

Recovering debts for unpaid fees

Doctors who undertake professional fees work may experience delays in payment or may be unable to recover payment.

In situations where reasonable attempts to recover outstanding monies prove unsuccessful, doctors may wish to consider legal action, after getting independent legal advice.

Settlement of such disputes could entail the following:

  • Writing a letter before action, to the owing party, setting out the doctor's demand for the outstanding payment and the doctor's intention to commence court proceedings if prompt payment of the outstanding monies is not forthcoming
  • Lodging a small claim

In the case of medico-legal work, lodging a complaint against the instructing solicitor firm for outstanding or late payments.

All solicitors' firms must have a written complaints procedure - for further information contact the relevant Law Society.

Find out more about making a court claim for money