An Inter-Deanery Transfer (IDT) allows specialty trainees to move between UK deaneries during their training programme.
An IDT is only permitted due to an unforeseen, significant change in personal circumstances since an appointment to training, without having to apply for a new post through the normal application process.
A different process applies for doctors in the Foundation Programme.
The Junior Doctors Committee (JDC), Health Education England (HEE), London Shared Services and COPMeD have developed a refreshed national IDT process, which launched in April 2013.
The result of this is that all IDT applications are now centrally managed by the National IDT team.
The national process aims to deliver a fair and consistent transfer system via:
- a single electronic application form submitted via the IDT website portal, wherever you wish to transfer to or from
- two windows for transfers each year, in February and August
- a national eligibility criteria
- a single communication channel
- an enquiries service for those interested in transferring
Successfully transferring to another deanery depends on whether you meet the eligibility criteria, have supplied the required evidence and whether there is a vacancy in the region (or regions) to which you have applied.
Next application window
The August application window will open at 4pm on Friday 29th July and close at 4pm on Friday 26th August.
Visit the National IDT website for more application guidance and to apply online