What you will get from this report
- Our research on the scale and scope of private outsourcing in response to Covid-19.
- Our analysis of the impact that overreliance on outsourcing is having –both on patients and doctors.
- Our concerns about the questionable value for money, lack of transparency, and increased fragmentation resulting from use of private contracting.
- Our assessment of the effectiveness of the Westminster government’s response to the pandemic, and the role private outsourcing has played in this.
- Our recommendations for change and key asks.
Our key asks
- Private outsourcing in England to be scrutinised in any future public inquiry on the UK government’s handling of the Covid crisis.
- Transparency of private contractual agreements.
- A more robust governance system under NHS control that has oversight of management and coordination of procurement.
- A substantial and sustained increase in funding for the NHS and local public health departments, including clarity on funding beyond 2020/21.
- A publicly funded, publicly provided and publicly accountable NHS.