The BMA Charities are two charities which help all doctors, and their dependents, and medical students in times of financial crisis. The Charities are:
BMA Charities Trust Fund
This Fund offers grants to doctors and medical students who are in financial difficulty. It provides:
- Annual grants to medical students who are taking medicine as a second degree. Application packs for these grants are only available from November to mid-January each year.
- One-off grants to medical students who are in immediate and serious financial need
- One-off grants to unemployed doctors for essential items such as utility bills, travel and disability equipment
- One-off grants to working doctors in financial hardship for help with the GMC retention fee and professional indemnity insurance.
- Grants to refugee and asylum seeking doctors to meet the costs of taking the PLAB exams and GMC registration
- Money advice for any doctor who is having difficulty managing financially
The Trustees may make other awards at their discretion.
You do not have to be a BMA member to apply.
Applications are accepted all year round except for those for second degree medical students. Applicants are asked to complete an application form and provide financial information and the contact details for two referees. The process takes approximately four weeks from the receipt of a fully completed application.
The Fund does not pay off debts or make grants for private medical expenses, legal fees, career development costs, mortgages or childcare costs.
For more information please contact [email protected] (please do not send attachments to this email address as they will not be opened) or 020 7383 6142 so that we can discuss your situation with you. If we are unable to help we will try to provide you with information about other organisations which might be able to assist.
The Dain Fund
The Fund helps with the education and support of doctors’ children when there are financial problems in the family. In most of the families helped the parents are out of work or on a very low income.
The Fund particularly welcomes applications from refugee doctors.
Grants are made for items such as school clothing, school trips, essential IT equipment, disability equipment, breakfast clubs and, occasionally, short-term school fees, however the fund is unable to help with childcare costs for working doctors.
You do not have to be a BMA member to make an application.
Applications are accepted all year round.
For more information please contact [email protected] or 020 7383 6142 so that we can discuss your situation with you. If we are unable to help we will try to provide you with information about other organisations which might be able to assist.
Donating to the funds
Please consider donating to us in one of the following ways:
BMA Charities Trust Fund – Charity registration number 219102
The Dain Fund – Charity registration number 313108